Mother Bethel: The Four Churches

Mother Bethel’s story begins long before its first building—at St. George’s Methodist Church, where Richard Allen’s powerful preaching drew so many Black congregants that the building could no longer accommodate the growing numbers. When Allen and other Black worshipers were shown a new segregated seating arrangement—forced into a newly constructed balcony—the injustice of that morning led to a historic walkout.

Allen described the moment in his own words:

We had not been long upon our knees before I heard considerable scuffling… one of the trustees… having hold of the Rev. Absalom Jones, pulling him off of his knees, and saying, ‘You must get up—you must not kneel here.’… By this time prayer was over, and we all went out of the church in a body, and they were no more plagued with us in the church.

That act of collective dignity set in motion the creation of an independent African church—a place where Black believers could worship God in peace.

With support from Dr. Benjamin Rush, Robert Ralston, and even President George Washington, funds were gathered. In 1791, land was secured and Allen’s small band of faithful began shaping what would become one of the most important religious institutions in American history.

The First Church (1794)

Richard Allen purchased an old blacksmith shop and had it hauled to the lot at Sixth and Lombard Streets. Carpenters transformed it into a humble place of worship. On July 29, 1794, Bishop Francis Asbury dedicated the structure—“The Blacksmith Shop Meeting House”—for America’s first Black Methodist society, praying it would be called “Bethel” for the gathering of thousands of souls.

The congregation grew rapidly—from 121 members in 1795 to 457 a decade later. During these years, Allen became the first ordained Black deacon in the Methodist Episcopal Church and continued working alongside abolitionists and newly emancipated people seeking refuge and support.

Art work - Richard Allen in First Church

The Second Church (1805)

By 1805, the congregation had outgrown its first home. Trustees purchased adjoining lots, and a larger rough cast block structure replaced the blacksmith shop. Yet discrimination from white Methodist leadership continued. St. George’s attempted to control Bethel’s property and pulpits, often leading to tense standoffs—members sometimes sitting in the aisles to prevent white pastors from forcing their way into the pulpit.

This tension helped strengthen Bethel’s resolve. The “African Supplement” of 1807—meant to protect autonomy—ultimately led to a legal battle that reached the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. In 1816, the court ruled in favor of Allen and Bethel, declaring them free from Methodist Episcopal Church control.

That same year, representatives from Black Methodist congregations across several states gathered at Bethel to organize the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AMEC). Richard Allen was elected and consecrated the first bishop.

The second church also witnessed historic moments such as Jarena Lee becoming the first woman authorized to preach in the AME Church, and mass gatherings protesting the American Colonization Society’s push to send free Blacks to Africa.

The Roughcast Church
Sheriff's Sale of Second Church - June 12, 1815
1819 License to "Exhorte" issued to Noah Cannon by Bishop Richard Allen
Pew from the Second Church
Second Church's pulpit

The Third Church (1841)

Ten years after Allen’s passing, continued growth required yet another building. The third church—known as the “Red Brick Church”—was constructed in 1841 at a cost of $18,000. Bishop Daniel Payne described the sanctuary as more elegant than earlier structures, with its imposing pulpit as the central feature.

This building served the community for nearly fifty years. During the Civil War, it became a vital recruitment center for Black soldiers entering the Union Army. The last services were held in June 1889, and the building was demolished shortly thereafter to make room for the next chapter.

The Fourth Church (1890 – Present)

In preparation for the fourth edifice, the trustees purchased additional property from Reverend Josiah Eddy. Groundbreaking took place on August 24, 1889, with Bishops Henry McNeil Turner and Alexander W. Wayman among the many dignitaries present.

The cornerstone was laid that November, and on October 26, 1890, the new church was dedicated. The celebration continued with citywide participation, culminating in a grand musical gathering on November 21.

This fourth building remains the Mother Bethel AME Church standing today, carrying within its walls over two centuries of struggle, triumph, and unshakeable faith. In 1953, amendments to the church constitution officially added “Mother” to the name and allowed women to participate in the business of the corporation—a milestone that continued the legacy of leadership exemplified by Sarah Allen and countless women who built and sustained the church.

Front doors in the morning

From a blacksmith shop hauled onto a muddy lot to the magnificent structure that anchors Sixth and Lombard today, the four buildings of Mother Bethel tell a single story: a people determined to worship freely, stand against injustice, and build a lasting spiritual home for generations to come.

Some of the Beautiful Stained Glass Windows That Depict Mother Bethel AME Church’s History
Lombard Street Memorial Stained Glass Window
Masonic Panel
Cross & Crown
Caliper & Square
Pine Street Memorial Stained Glass Window
Learning Panel
Masonic Panel
Cross & Crown
Caliper & Square
6th Street Memorial Stained Glass Window
Dove
Christ with Lamb
Alpha
Omega